You can learn from history and read about geography and history of the world. The history of Rome, Europe, America, Asia.
Demolition of the Berlin Wall
Although the past two decades, no wall dividing Berlin, ćetelako still see the border which separated it until 9 November 1989
Although two decades nemaZida dividing Berlin, its easy to see that border it jedijelila 9th November 1989th is not necessary to go to Potsdamer Platzaili former Charlie border crossing, at the crossroads of Friedrichstrasse iZimmerstrasse - cult places that probably do not fails posjetitiniti a tourist - to the sidewalk, where it is clearly nazirutragovi former Wall, felt painful breath of German history.
As soon as the west side of the Brandenburg Gate premaAlexanderplatzu go, and then a little east of Karl Marxs Alley, in uronitćete hopelessly drab completely impersonal buildings, resulting in udarničkimpetoljetkama former German Democratic Republic - GDR.
These gloomy building which is now in the rainy days of November, look jošodurnije than I experienced in June 2007. when posljednjiput I was in Berlin when the city bathed in greenery and flowers that jeponešto offset drab socialist realist architecture, negobilo clear that the wall will warn you that you have crossed the former border tadaduboko two irreconcilable split and globe.
MarioHoffmann Taxi Driver, which I of Brandenburg Gate in the rain and sleet drove naistok the former prison notorious East German secret službeStasi, says that some tourists - and navozao them thousands - nećeodmah observe the transition from one town to another.
-Although it has been twenty years since the collapse of the Wall, everyone noticed the difference, he says. Malogdje she is so very noticeable as in Berlin - bezpostupnih transitions, without shades - from polished and slicked up, calm, in the western part raskošiokupanoga youll go into the mist East. Such ISAM Alexanderplatz, a bit like an enlarged replica of the square kakvogaprovincijskog former communist world, and once the pulsing heart of cosmopolitan city, as it was in the cult novel Berlin Alexanderplatz a writer named Alfred Dšblin.
Hoffmann says that he can not get over that twenty years ago, November 9 when it happened before history was not in Berlin.
crowds in supermarkets
- We all know that the Wall rocking, its good to be loosened and uskoropasti, but Im just at that time was on vacation, outside Berlin, and onošto others have experienced, I have watched on television - says Hoffmann.No, even days later, when shortly after fall of the Berlin Wall came in, he says, he remembers the tremendous crowds at department stores in the west of the city. Our east-citizens, on the other side of the wall, they bought whatever caught, probably not believing it themselves, just like we in the west, to The wall has fallen forever.
fall of the Berlin Wall is one of onihdana in recent history with which it is measurable only demolition tornjevaSvjetskoga Trade Center in New York - what a coincidence, Wall jepao 9th 11th, and the towers are demolished 12 years later, permutiranogdatuma, 11 9, which probably everyone remembers, knowing exactly where setog days there and it worked.
bricks are burned in my head
- I was in the hospital I had an easy surgery and I remember that mesupruga called and asked if I watch television. velikogadnevnog I went to a room where others are in a direct transfer of patients to većgledali gathered masses on both sides of the wall chisels and hammers, and some picks, collapsing wall. shouted are: We the people and then Mismo one people! I could not believe it really happens and crest was sorry they could not join - tells me chatty UweDitz the pub at the Potsdamer Platz, after the third pint politrene beer.
I ask him what the fall changed his life.
- not many - matches. - The shaft is, however, national pride and riješionas frustration caused by living in a divided city ipodijeljenoj state. But if you mean, I do not live any better, and people just on events measure it. Price unification is a great ijoš we long to pay.
Der Spiegel reporter John Goetz, izčije editorial rooms on the fifth floor Pariser Platz 4a on a view napedesetak meters from the Brandenburg Gate, he says, while discussing what has changed Otome past twenty years, as the walls najtežeruše in the minds of people and still has quite a few of those this side kojimisle that while there is a better The wall is there. These hold that over Zidaprelilo and the evil of communism, and today, not only Berlin but the German general, ruled by communists.
worth setakvi only imagine how they feel when they let down the broad Strasse des 17 June and see onajglomazni Red Army soldier monument, just as the Russians mogunapraviti, and the two Soviet tank cannon and that in 1945. First came uBerlin. Or when you stroll in a series of Karl-Liebknecht Strasse, and saw sitting in omanjemparku Marx and Engels standing, the two biggest sinanjemačkog people, as he called them Erich Honecker when they discovered 1986.ondje huge bronze monument.
not afraid to symbols
But Edgar Voss, a historian who works in the former GDR prison notorious tajneslužbe , the Stasi, now converted into a museum, says it takvispomenici, but not the Red Army, not at all perturbed.
-We in Latvia and Russia to tear down the monuments. Here nobody bojinjihova influence, let alone their domination, and these characteristics valjashvatiti as part of the history through which Germany has gone through - he says Voss, fully aware that the Russians are no longer in danger and that she njihovajedina remaining enclaves near the Brandenburg Gate, the Russian embassy in ogomnomkompleksu that, in the broad avenue Unter derLinden, and abuts a large building Aeroflot.
When the Berlin Wall crumbled, Edgar Voss had only eight inajstrašnije he remembers are the harassment at the border when sobitelji from West Berlin traveled to visit relatives in Germany tadašnjuZapadnu.
- These are the blurry images of childhood, but seipak remember the endless waiting and thorough inspection at the border. It jejedino what I remember from that time and because my attitude towards tomvremenu certainly different than my parents - says Voss.
But where is the proof of that terrible time. Ogromankompleks prison cell Genslerstrasse 66, a former mučilištuStasija, even today, although only the museum, is creepy. EdgarVoss leads me to the horror of long labyrinth of cells in the basement, whose hodnicinačičkani heavy metal door behind which the prison cells, torture rooms samicei.
damp room, not longer than three meters ijedva so broad, with a squeaky door, without windows and only a malimventilacijskim hole was for months, even years, home kojemje also lived for 12 prisoners. literally crammed kaosardine, these people are sleeping on a narrow wooden bed, but still they jeondje was at least a little better than staying at claustrophobic solitary confinement gdjesu other prisoners were detained.
most terrifying of all one being confined water room with two škaf - full of cold bottom water ukojoj the prisoner was forced to sit firmly tied to drvenestupove, and head - shaved before that - fixed under the second škaf, from which, drop by drop, slid water hitting him on the bare scalp.
blow water drops
- After some time, hit by drops of water the crown was a plain and painful jestrašniji but a hammer blow - Voss says, pointing mizatvor with more than 200 cells, which, in the period while njimeupravljali Soviets, only from July 1945. until November 1946. odposljedica physical torture 886 people died.
- Objective togamučenja was to break the will of all enemy state - namely, the Soviet Unions criteria, were all opponents of the communist regime, and force them to admit that they are ordinary criminals. As such, some political zatvornicima, tried them and then they were raspoređivaniu ordinary prison where no one would complain because they are criminals trial that steambath admitted his wrongdoing - Voss explains.
Većinaturista who came to Berlin and photographed next to the remains of the Wall and potomprovoza Trabant, these ridiculous Cedo automotive industry bivšegDDRs, sees it as fun, not wanting to spoil obilaskomStasijevih torture. You may only read by the way, on billboards along ostatkeZida, that was 165 kilometers long, of which 45 went krozgrad, and that since 1961. when erected , in an attempt to escape naZapad killed 136 residents of East Berlin.
Turističkaponuda Berlin today live largely from the former Berlin Wall and the svegašto accompany it. Trafficking in nostalgia, as the business nazivaprodavačica souvenirs in the shop in which a Attraction is a praviTrabant and which is full of Russian military caps, medals kojekakvog iznačaka GDR and, of course, those iconic postcard with a passionate French kissing Brezhnev and Honecker, was elaborated in Berlin German meticulousness and the perceived sense of business. the former graničnomprijelazu Charlie you are the euro, two photograph with mladićimaodjevenima the uniforms of American and British soldiers, who stand to kućicuopasanu bags filled with sand.
Friction military blocs
These homes border police, and its replica, because originalnaizložena in the museum, and now stands in its place. PotsdamerPlatzu And, again, for some pocket change, you can get the former iliizlazne entry visa which will, for the memories, in your passport štambiljatimladić dressed in the uniform of the former border golubljesivu policijeDDRs.
Today, everything is fun, but on large boards uzostatke wall or the Mauer Museum, dedicated to this hladnoratnomsimbolu, it is seen that the Wall and the division that made njihovimsuvremenicima were not at all amusing. Germans, and especially stanovnicipodijeljenog Berlin, felt to be right here, in ukojem live, creating dangerous sparks caused by friction of two military blocs, the Warsaw Pact and the NATO alliance, which is separated only by the wall.
On one of the billboards along the former Checkpoint Charlie to the dramatičnovidi. Photographs were taken with two fit the same part of the Wall: najednoj John Kennedy, Nikita Khrushchev on the other - each in its zoniutjecaja deeply divided, Cold War world.
reason for pride
Older Germans, with whom I spoke, somewhat divided riječiHelmuta Kohl, the German chancellor who smiled history of superstition, watching the fall of the Berlin Wall, has experienced what some have not even dreamed, kadaje said that Germans just do not have many things in history which could be due proud. He uttered a few days ago in društvuMihaila Gorbachev and George Bush Sr., statesman who presudnoutjecali to fall of the Berlin Wall at the same time not be a trigger povlačenjenuklearnog. He said that when they are in Berlin, as an aging ioronuli, met to oblježe almost twenty anniversary of the fall of the Wall. Idodao :
- No, we certainly have reason to be proud of njemačkoujedinjenje because we have become reasonably and we can finally work together.
The apparent reasonableness of Germany in Berlin, twenty years after padaZida, literally each step. city that did not clash with their izazvaoefekt black hole in which the merger less consuming more, and tolerated iMarxa Engels and victorious Russian tanks against which sovjetskivojnik under the hammer and sickle, and Rosa Luxemburg tolerated and those sivezgrade East Berlin, which cautiously waiting for the new arhitekatakoji generation will correct mistakes of the former DDR planning and return gradljudima.
All these condensed history began in briljantnesvjetlosne those effects that are, on the festive occasion of the U2 concert 20.obljetnice fall of the Wall, smoothed by six massive columns Brandenburškekapije. the glitter of lights, symbols of the hammer and sickle, zvijezdepetokrake red and yellow ones, the European Union - the symbol of a united Europe-imprinted themselves in an unimaginable line, despite these antagonisms upovijesti.